Pages

Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Insecure Writers: December

It's that time again, Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG), created by the talented Alex J. Cavanaugh. I have two insecurities this month:

  1. Not being disciplined enough to keep up with this blog. My goal: try to post something every week. Honestly, if I kept up with this blog as much as I keep up with Facebook, I'd be posting something every day, and really, blogging is like a journaling exercise for me.
  2. Believing that I really stink when it comes to writing short stories. I've read some 'How To' books on short stories, but my mind is just a mess of thoughts, and lots of times I have a glimpse of an idea that I think would make a good short story, and it just doesn't translate onto paper. I envy some people who can get their thoughts down on paper and it all flows very logically, but I don't necessarily think logically when I'm in the creative process. I think the most frustrating thing is when you go back to edit your work, and after Drafts 3 and 4, you find that your idea (although evolving) still lacks meaning or resonates with you. I'm working on a short story right now about blindness that I'm ready to toss. It's loosely based on my own experiences with a retinal detachment, but when I read the story back to myself I'm like, "What the heck is this even about?" Do you know the feeling of frustration I'm talking about?
Anyhow, those are my insecurities for December. To end off, since this blog is supposed to be about inspirational quotes applied to writing, here is one I found:



Hmmmm.... what do you make of this quote when applied to writing? I know what I think, curious to know what you think. Happy December!!

15 comments:

  1. I know nothing...nothing, but I'm a seeker of truth and knowledge. It's a big, big world and I am but a minuet speck of sand.

    Okay enough with the double talk.

    Honestly, I think I enjoyed life much more when I was naive to the big world of publishing, marketing and yes even writing... It was easy to live the dream then, now all the insecurities surface and treading the water of that knowledge takes some of the fun from the sure bliss of creativity, at least for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you, Yolanda. For me, it just use to be about the writing and the bliss of putting word to paper. Now I find I second guess what I'm writing, or wonder, is it good enough? The one short story I wrote that resonated completely with me was the only one in which I just let my emotions pour out, I was right there with the character, and I didn't care how 'literary, or clever' it sounded. It was just pure, raw emotion.

      Delete
  2. I totally feel you on #2. I know exactly how you feel about not being to translate your idea and/or thoughts. Just keep working at it. It will eventually work itself out. I struggle with this every time I write. When I get stuck, I just put it and come back to it later. For some reason it all makes sense later.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for you comment, Dani. I hope one day this story I'm writing will make sense. I've put it down quite a few times, and I'm still struggling. Maybe I should put it down for a bit longer ;-)

      Delete
  3. Please don't toss your blindness story! Anyway, my tip is write a whole bunch of entries at once and schedule them to post once a week. It gives the illusion of productivity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm finding that quote to be especially true as I wade further and further into the publishing process.

    And I haven't been a very good blogger of late. I find I go through waves or something. Blogging, for me, is like the tide. Some days it's in, some days it's out.

    And if you're struggling with a story, I'd suggest putting it aside for a while. And not just a few days. I once took a couple of months off from writing. Work on something else for a while and then come back to it. You'll look at the story with fresh eyes and a clearer mind that will help you figure out your next step.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the more involved you get with blogging, the more you want to blog.
    As for the ideas, do you outline? Maybe a little more planning will help bring the storyline into focus. Critique partners are also great as they can suggest ways to make it better. I rely on mine!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I ditched how-to books a long time ago. I write my way, and if people like it that's great. Sometimes they don't, but I don't care. I call it breaking boundaries, and all the best writers have done it (better than me, obviously, but I'm still trying!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree with Alex. I love to blog only because I continue to blog...does that make sense?

    I also try to write a synopsis which, in my opinion, is more difficult than writing the stinking book! When I have my story down to a one page summary, it's much easier to expand upon it than trying to chug along without one. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with you on short stories. I used to churn out tons of them for school, but now that I have time, I find that I never have stories that are self-contained enough for the low word-limits.

    Still, I think I churn out pretty dang good stories anyway. It just takes me longer. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. There seems to be a common thread with blog slacking this year. I know I was guilty of it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Take the path of least resistance and write from your toes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Here from Alex's blog. I feel frustration all the time, it comes with the territory. Some of the best writer's I've ever met express feelings of doubt. Understandably so. Essentially they are playing God. A writer is creating a new universe filled with vivid images and intriguing characters. Surely, there's gonna be some pressure with taking on such a daunting task. Don't be so hard on yourself. Keep writing. It's like yoga, the more you do it the better you become.

    FWIW,I really like your blog and am now a follower. Wishing you all the best on your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I couldn’t resist commenting. Well written!

    Hotels in Ranthambore

    ReplyDelete
  13. whoah, this weblog is excellent I like reading your articles.

    FRASES PARA ENAMORAR UNA AMIGA

    ReplyDelete