Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Insecure Writers Support Group: Discipline down the drain!



It's the first wednesday in September... time for another Insecure Writers Support Group (IWSG) post, a blog hop created by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

Honestly, during the summer I've been lazy when it has come to my blog. I managed to get a few writing project done... a third edit of a short story, some more of my novel, submitted a children's book to a publisher (yada yada yada). But when it get's so hot outside, I really find it hard to concentrate, set goals and get the work done. Any limited reserves of energy I've had this summer has mainly gone to taking care of my kids and making sure they had fun.

Not getting as much writing done as I'd like to has made me insecure however, especially since individuals I know in my writers group (or know of from word of mouth) are getting published. I'm so excited for them, but at the same time I'm like, holy crap. At the rate I'm going editing my novel, and writing new stuff, it'll be ten years before I have anything good enough to submit.

Now that it's September, and my son starts school for the first time next week, I'm beginning to think I need to set achievable goals in terms of writing (one of them being to keep up with this blog, because I like blogging and networking with others). I just hope I can stick to the goals I set.

You know, I used to pride myself on being a 'disciplined' person, not only in terms of writing. I don't really know what happened. I set a goal to write, I get tired and would rather rest instead. I go on a diet, I can't resist a chocolate or a glass of wine. I say I'm going to exercise and I do sometimes, but then the rest of the time it's like, hahahahaha...

I just feel like I'm completely all over the place, or maybe that's just my lifestyle now with young children, a part time job, and a lot of other responsibilities. I want to be a great mom, a great employee and a great writer (oh, a great wife too I guess ;) I'm being pulled in so many directions that it's tough to master any one of these, yet they're all so important to me.

Guess all I can do is try my best and maybe focus on my accomplishments instead of on my shortcomings.

4 comments:

  1. Raising kids is probably the most challenging, "pull you away from" job you could ever have. That said, make your goals small. Get up 20 minutes early and write for 15 minutes. Trade babysitting with a friend so you can work on a writing project. You do have to want something hard enough to make it happen, but if you do, you will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting my blog earlier today. With two kids of my own, I hear what you're saying about feeling like you're all over the place.
    I think it's wonderful that you're continuing to stick to your plan to write. Just hang in there, and good luck with making more time for yourself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a really great post. Good luck on your future goals. With kids, always try to make time for yourself.

    www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete